Listen to Bud and social media editor Nick Dean talk pumpkin on this week’s Eats Beat podcast.
Pumpkin: It’s not just for lattes anymore.
Ten years after Starbucks made pumpkin coffee a fall craze, we are surrounded by pumpkin promotions.
From pumpkin beers to pumpkin steak rubs, it’s nearly impossible to miss the giant fall squash.
Some pumpkin possibilities:
• Cafe Brazilgoes full pumpkin, serving both cinnamon-pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin cheesecake. It’s at 2880 W. Berry St., open till 11 p.m. weeknights and 24 hours weekends.
• Glazed Doughnuts & Cafe, the “extreme doughnuts” bakery in Arlington, has a pumpkin cinnamon roll cluster called the “pumpkin spice”; it’s at 4306 Matlock Road.
• Bonefish Grill, the Southlake outpost of the Outback-owned seafood chain, has been doing specials including pumpkin ravioli and pumpkin creme brulee; 1201 E. Southlake Blvd., open for dinner weeknights and Saturdays and lunch Sundays.
• The new fall menu at Grace, a classic fine-dining restaurant downtown, includes a beet-and-burrata salad with pumpkin seeds. (Try the new paella entree, too.) It’s open nightly except Sundays at 777 Main St.
• A Japanese pumpkin is called a kabocha, and pumpkin cheesecake is on the menu in all seasons at Shinjuku Station, a busy sushi bar and casual tavern open Tuesday through Friday for lunch and dinner, Mondays and Saturdays for dinner only at 711 W. Magnolia Ave.
• The timeless Japanese Palacehibachi grill and sushi bar is serving tempura kabocha pumpkin as an appetizer. It’s open nightly for dinner; 8445 Camp Bowie Blvd.
• Vickery Blvd. Cafe, which adds special brunch dishes on weekends, has offered pumpkin-cheesecake-stuffed French toast with roasted-peach glaze; 4120 W. Vickery Blvd.
• Spiral Diner, ranked one of America’s top vegan restaurants, gets in the spirit with a pumpkin-bourbon cheesecake; 1314 W. Magnolia Ave.
• Einstein Bros. Bagels has a pumpkin-walnut bagel. The menu also offers pumpkin-white chocolate cookies, lattes and pumpkin clusters.
Friday and fry-day
Texas Chicken-Fried Steak Day is Saturday, so we’re in for a chicken-fried weekend.
Norma’s Cafein Dallas and Frisco will celebrate Friday, serving chicken-fried steak five ways including a Buffalo sauce chicken-fry.
The Petro Iron Skillet Restaurantin Weatherford will serve a $5.99 chicken-fried steak special all day Saturday.