As we trudge into the dog days of summer, the trucks are still rolling in August. The truck owners, more than anyone, know how hot it is and have found locations and ways to help you cool off while you wait. Go visit them and look for the chairs in the shade or eat in the buildings that support the trucks. Heres a look at this months food truck event schedule:
• Tuesday August 6: Denton and the Denton County Transit Authority are bringing the food trucks to the station from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Downtown Denton Transit Center, 604 E. Hickory, Denton. Trucks serving include The Pickled Carrot, Shitaake Swerve, La Estrella, The Lean Machine and Pops Please. Take the train to the station, have lunch and support the Denton trucks.
Tasty Tuesday continues at Sprouts at 11722 Marsh Lane from 5-8 p.m. This month the lineup includes Rock & Roll Tacos, Cajun Tailgators, Jo Dawgs, Pompeii, Ruthies, Ssahm BBQ, Doughboys Pizza, Parrot Icce and Cup-Cakin.
• Saturday August 10: the Design District Outdoor Market returns with vendors, a stellar lineup of food trucks and a dumpster pool. The Market is from noon until 8 p.m. and will be on Glass Street in front of the Dallas Contemporary. Trucks serving include Gorgonzilla, Easy Slider, Nammi, Parrot Icce, Doughboys, Little Greek Truck, The Crazy Pig and Tin Star Tacos.
The Fort Worth Pop-Up Market at Magnolia Green (1201 Lipscomb St., Fort Worth) runs from 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. I have not yet seen the list of food trucks that will be selling, but each month the Market has had two or three trucks to take care of your food needs while you shop.
• Food trucks return to Bedford for a Back To School Fest at Bedford Meadows from 5-9 p.m. Featured trucks: Jo Dawgs, Simply Dosa, Maui Wowi, Gandolfos, Cajun Tailgators and Mr. Snowie. Twisted Root and Steak One will also be serving through their catering trucks. With lots of activities for the whole family, this is sure to be a fun event.
• Saturday, August 24: The Harwood District, near Uptown Dallas, is hosting a Global Street Festival from noon-7 p.m. Along with entertainers and beverage specials at the District bars and pubs, food trucks serving food from around the globe will be on hand. Check out the Harwood District and eat from Taste of Cuba, Little Greek Truck, Salsa Limon, Gorgonzilla, Sweetie Vs, Ssahm, and Mr. Snowie (2501 N. Harwood, Dallas.)
• Weekly events continue through August. Food Trucks continue to be at Sigels, 5757 Greenville Ave. on Wednesday nights from 5-8 p.m. Along with the rotation of trucks each of these nights, Sigels usually has some beverage tastings inside the store.
• Thursdays Lunch Box continues into August at 1300 Mockingbird Lane in Dallas from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. with Rock & Roll Taco, Yellow Belly, The Crazy Pig and Brain Freeze Drinks.
• Easy Slider and Enticed have Summer Lovin every Thursday night in August at Walgreens at Mockingbird & Matilda in Dallas. The trucks will be serving their respective sliders and shaved ice from 5-8 each week.
• Late in August, Dallas will get a new food truck park with the opening of The Truck Yard at 5624 Sears in the Lower Greenville Area of Dallas. The Truck Yard, brought by Twisted Root owner Jason Boso, bills itself as a dive bar, restaurant, food truck park and beer garden. Last week The Truck Yard put out the call to have three to four trucks rotate through the Yard on a regular basis. You can follow The Truck Yard on Facebook and Twitter to get more information about their exact opening date and which trucks will be serving.
Along with the Truck Yard, there are parks in Dallas and Fort Worth to provide you lunch and dinner.
• In Dallas, the Fly By Food Truck Park is open Wednesday for lunch; Thursdays and Fridays for lunch and dinner; and Saturdays for dinner. A variety of trucks rotate each service, so be sure to check Facebook and Twitter to see whos there each day. The Fly By Park is at 2500 Mockingbird Lane, across from Love Field.
Monday through Friday for lunch, you can find trucks at Thistle Hill in Fort Worth. I am a big fan of this location. It is very beautiful and relaxing, and the grounds are shaded enough that the sun isnt a problem.
Fort Worth Food Truck Park is open on Wednesday nights for dinner and Thursdays through Sundays for lunch and dinner at 2509 Weisenberger Dr. You can find their schedule of trucks at www.fwfoodpark.com.
Clearfork Park is open Wednesday through Sunday for lunch and dinner. Clearfork is right on the Trinity Trail, at 1541 Merrimac Circle in Fort Worth. You can find their schedule of trucks at www.clearforkfoodpark.com.