Home  >  Ink


Greg Fields, News 8 'Daybreak' meteorologist

Posted 7:10pm on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012

Greg Fields, News 8 'Daybreak' meteorologist

Greg Fields has been at WFAA/Channel 8 for 14 years, 11 of those at News 8 Daybreak, making him a close second to Fox-4's Evan Andrews as longest-running morning meteorologist. But he's been doing mornings for most of his nearly 23-year career, including in Kansas City and Tampa. He also does weather during WFAA's mid-morning show, Good Morning Texas, and during the station's noon newscast.

On whether he's a morning person

No. [Laughs] I mean, I like the mornings, but it wears on you. Working this shift, you're always kind of walking around in that fog, that haze. Your body never gets used to it. People who are in the business and talk about us doing mornings always say, "Oh, I remember when I did mornings." Aaaaand no, you don't. You might have done it for a couple of years, but it's been a long time since you've done it. Having done it here for 11 years, that's kind of a different thing, when your alarm clock is going off at 2:30.

Morning routine

I get up, try to get here by a quarter to 4, and just start the day. Start looking at the weather maps and getting the forecast together. I'm usually by myself in the morning. I don't have the advantage of having another person, like a weather producer. So that's kind of how I started.

Caffeine regimen

I've got to have coffee. Two, maybe three cups a day. I try to limit it. I don't need to have a lot, but I need at least one to get me started. But you hit that wall. We have that hour at noon, and you don't want to hit that wall by 11 or 11:30.

Why morning TV is becoming more important

I think social media has a whole lot to do with that. Everybody has access to information now, so it's not just about coming in and doing the work on television. People are getting the information on the Internet, Facebook, Twitter. Over the past few years, that's the biggest change I've really seen.

What happens after the show's over

I tell people now that my real job starts when I leave here. I come here and do my thing at Channel 8, but then I have the family obligations. My wife is working as well, so I have to pick up the slack as far as doctors' appointments for my daughter, picking her up from school, doing all the after school stuff, fixing dinner for her when she gets home, making sure she's ready for bed by the time my wife gets home. My day does not stop when I leave here at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. It continues till about 8, 9 o'clock at night.

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?

Hey there. or join DFW.com. Your account. Log out.

Remember me