The 18th annual Crystal Heart Gala had some harrowing moments. Last night, during the annual Huguley Memorial Medical Center's benefit event at the Renaissance Worthington hotel in downtown Fort Worth, country star Randy Travis collapsed during his performance of Three Wooden Crosses, according to the Burleson Star.
The report says Travis apologized for his "vocal chords [sic] giving out" on him, while the band kept playing. Travis tried to start singing again, stopped, stumbled and fell forward onto the stage, according to the Star. The report goes on to say that after "several doctors" rushed to his aid, the 52-year-old North Carolina native rose to his feet about 10 minutes after collapsing and departed the stage, bringing the gala to an abrupt end.
This morning, I spoke with Travis's tour manager, Jeff Davis, who confirmed that Travis did indeed collapse during his performance and that, after being checked out by the doctors on the scene, Travis is fine. The multi-platinum singer-songwriter was not taken to the hospital after the incident.
"He is all right," says Davis. "He had a bad reaction to some allergy medicine he took earlier in the day; it had some decongestant in it. The doctors said a cup of coffee and the decongestant combined [to cause the collapse] and it was one of those weird things. The doctors checked him out and he was fine. They examined him immediately and helped him how he needed to be helped. It was just very unfortunate timing."
Davis says Travis is "resting comfortably at home" and that his tour will continue as scheduled. Travis's next scheduled performance is Saturday in Bristol, Tenn. He'll be back in North Texas Oct. 21, performing as part of the State Fair of Texas.
UPDATE at 6:05 p.m.: The Associated Press checked in with its own update earlier this afternoon, revealing the names of the doctors who rushed to the singer's aid (Jeff Beeson and Steve Davis), as well as an official statement from the pair, which says Travis was "struggling with laryngitis due to chronic allergies and had taken several over-the-counter medications."
Mr. Travis was overcome by a combination of dehydration, over-the-counter allergy medications, and caffeine use, the statement read. This, combined with the heat of the stage lights, caused him to pass out.